SIMM is committed to protecting your privacy when you use any of our services. This Privacy Notice explains how we use information about you and how we protect your privacy. If you have any concerns or questions about how we look after your personal information, please contact SIMM at email@example.com or by writing to SIMM, Koninginnegalerij 28, 1000 Brussels, Belgium.
Your personal information
Personal information is anything that directly or indirectly identifies and relates to a living person, such as a name, address, telephone number, date of birth, unique identification number, photographs, video recordings (including CCTV) etc.
What information does SIMM collect?
SIMM only collects and stores personal information from applicants for participation in activities (co-)organised by SIMM (such as SIMM-posia and SIM seminars) and subscribers to our newsletter. We only collect and use the personal information that is provided to us by these applicants and/or subscribers. We only collect and use the information that is necessary to fulfil the specific purpose for which it is acquired and, if required, to comply with legal obligations.
Why do we need your personal information?
We may need to use some information about you to:
- keep you informed about SIMM activities and news (newsletter),
- process your registration and participation in any SIMM activities, such as SIMM-posia, SIMM seminars, …
- fulfil any legal or contractual obligations SIMM might have towards you or any third party.
How the law allows us to use your personal information
There are a number of legal reasons why we will need to collect and use your personal information in different circumstances.
Generally, we collect and use personal information where:
- you, or your legal representative, have given consent
- you have entered into a contract with us
- it is required by law
- it is necessary for employment purposes
- it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes
Your rights regarding your personal information
The law gives you a number of rights in relation to what personal information is used by SIMM, and how it is used. These rights are listed below:
You can ask us to:
- provide you with a copy of the personal information that we hold about you
- correct personal information about you which you think is inaccurate
- delete personal information about you if you think we no longer should be using it
- stop using your personal information if you think it is wrong, until it is corrected
If we have consent to use your personal information for any particular reason, you have the right to remove your consent at any time. If you want to remove your consent, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you object to our processing of your information, you can at any time file a complaint. If you want to do so, please contact:
We will respond to your request within 30 calendar days.
You can also file a complaint with the Belgian Data Protection Authority:
+32 (0)2 274 48 00
+32 (0)2 274 48 35
With whom do we share your personal information?
In some circumstances, we use other organisations to either store personal information or use it to help deliver our services to you. Where we have these arrangements, there is always an agreement in place to make sure that the organisation complies with data protection law. These organisations are:
- cloud services for storing information (dropbox)
- mail and website server (OVH)
- our bank (VDK bank)
In some cases, when SIMM cooperates with another party on organising an activity (SIMM-posium, seminar, …). SIMM will share the personal information you share with SIMM with this partner. In this case you will be informed about this when submitting your personal information to SIMM. The personal information SIMM shares will be limited to the information this 3rdparty needs to organise the activity and your participation in it.
How do we protect your personal information?
We have a legal duty to make sure we hold your personal information (on paper and electronically) in a secure way, and to only make it available to those who have a right to see them. Examples of our security include:
- Encryption, meaning that information is hidden so that it cannot be read without special knowledge (such as a password)
- Controlling access to systems and networks allows us to stop people who are not allowed to view your personal information from getting access to it
- Training for our staff allows us to make them aware of how to handle personal information, and how and when to report when something goes wrong
How long do we keep your personal information?
We will only hold your personal information for as long as it is necessary to fulfil our legal duties or until you withdraw your permission for SIMM to store your information. In case we enter into a legal contract with you, we will hold your personal information until the end of said contract.
Information outside of the European Union
The majority of personal information is stored on systems in the EU. However, there are some occasions where your information may leave the EU either to get to another organisation, or where it is stored in a system outside of the EU.